Are you interested in exploring career opportunities in the expanding IT sector? If so, read on to find out about 3 events taking place on campus on on Wednesday 3rd February:
- Employer Networking Event – specifically for PhD studentPromoting your PhD to IT sector employers
- Careers in IT Fair
- Careers in Computer Games
Over three quarters of the 40 organisations attending the IT Fair have expressed an interest in postgraduate research students. While many organisations are looking for Informatics, Sciences, Engineering and Maths students, others may have an interest in broader backgrounds.
So what’s happening?
1. Employer Networking Event –Promoting your PhD to IT sector employers 9.15am – 12 noon – Sign up via MyCareerHub
This event will give you an opportunity to explore where you might fit into an IT firm and to consider how you can market your PhD to employers in this sector. The morning will include: an informal discussion-based networking workshop led by career consultants followed by a panel / Q &A session and informal networking opportunity with IT employers including Corero Network Security, everysite / tlr ltd, Outplay, The MathWorks Ltd.
As well as finding out about these employers, you will have the opportunity to discuss:
- What’s looked for in application forms / CVs?
- How and where can technical skills be showcased when applying?
- What can be expected at interviews?
- How are technical skills assessed? What can you expect at technical interviews or other technical assessments?
2. Careers in IT Fair – open to all students 1.00pm – 4.00pm, Informatics Forum, Crighton Street
3. Careers in Computer Games, 5pm – 8pm, Sign up via MyCareerHub
Scotland’s fast growing Games Industry has a worldwide reputation for creativity and innovation, and needs to recruit students with a range of backgrounds and skills. Come along to hear from people working in the industry explain more about their roles and career paths and take advantage of time to network with the representatives from the Computer Games Industry. Full details of this event can be found on MyCareerHub.